Friday, September 27, 2013

Ageism

Is that even a real word? According to Wikipedia and even Daniel Webster, it is. But what I don't get, is how it's still relevant in this day in age...

Yes, many still judge others based on all sorts of criteria. Weight, race, religion, creed, diet (I see you vegans), etc. but when we live in a world where eye creams and botox are outselling denture adhesive cream, why oh why are people lying about their age online.


I was recently sent a list of potential mates from OKCupid, listed by their profile name, profile pic and age. Nothing else. Second profile down was someone I've known for a while. Like, a long while. Like, the majority of my life, while. He's successful, funny, good looking, family oriented, loves dogs, has hair, athletic, intelligent, blah blah blah. However, the age on the side of the pic was not matching. And it wasn't even that significant of a difference in age. Though I'm dying to ask him myself, I decided to send it to my oldest best girlfriends so we could subtract 20 years from our own maturity and come up with our own reasons.


While I agree that he doesn't look 34, and well, neither do I according to many government regulated facilities, why would a MAN feel the need to change his age on a dating site? Since when would a woman care if a guy was 31 as opposed to 34?! This ain't no Benjamin Buttons shit?!


So, I did some research (invisibly) and turns out, he's not interested in women older than 32. 32!!! Yes, in two years I've changed, a little, but not enough that I'm suddenly some spinster desperate for marriage and babies! I was desperate long before that! How presumptuous of him! But more interesting, is that he was also interested in women in their early 20's, though he stated he was looking to settle down and soon. 


But I still don't understand why he would lie about HIS age?! I don't remember being 25 and thinking "Shit, that guy was really a catch... except he was 18 months older than what I had envisioned. Oh well, moving on!" So, dude who I can't name who probably doesn't read this blog but has friends that do, feel free to be yourself and share your average age with the rest of the single digital domain of Los Angeles. Besides, won't she eventually find out anyway?

Murder She Wrote, bitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment